Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Novel- The Plan: The General

[ When he walks in the office in full dress uniform I gasp involuntarly. I half want to salute and stand at attention until he releases me with "At Ease", even though I have never served a day of my life. Before we start our interview he tells me he has some news he wants to share that he thinks will make Mark very happy, but he wanted to run it past me first. That is where today's session begins.]

"So, I had a little chat with a couple of friends today who owe me favors...anyways...I wanted to see how you felt about David..er.."Ohio" coming down with me on a little day trip sometime."

[My face must show what I am thinking. Jesus. Who doesn't this guy know? And what kind of "favors" buys a deserter a day pass? It must be like the Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine. Once The General. Always The General. Even in retirement. Out loud I respond enthusiastically but ask for time to break it to Mark that the kid survived. He agrees. Then I turn the subject to the elephant in the room,  Jerry's suicide.]

"About that. That problem may have settled itself. Tray, for whatever passes for brains in that head of hers, decided to tell the kids that Jerry just up and left her instead of telling them that he is dead. At first I thought it was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, but now I think it might be the best thing she has done since she first married Mark. It would be a lot easier on Mark than him knowing what actually happened.

"Tray has been talking non-stop about trying to get back with Mark now, did you know that?"

"It is all about the money, you know."


[ He doesn't miss a thing and reads the glower that quickly passes across my face even though I am answering him affirmatively]

"Don't sweat it, Shrink. I feel the very same way. We can't let her do this to him, again. Not now. Not ever."

[He levels his heavy gaze on me and I realize that he trusts I can keep her away from Mark. Maybe I can. The Plan is already taking form. How fortuitous that she made up the story of Jerry having left her. It makes things that much simpler. ]

"I'm a countin' on you to head her off at the pass, podner" he says in a corny western-John Wayne on the Lone Prairie -affect.

[He has a smile on his face, but his eyes are stone serious]

"He is making real progress now. I won't have her screwing that up." He states with finality.


[ I am glad to see we are both on the same page. Quite frankly it would be a source of real concern if I found myself not on The General's Page. More and more I am realizing he is a man who not only gets things done, but often is instrumental in making them happen. I feel a sense of kinship with him that I have not felt with anyone in years.]