Monday, August 15, 2016

From Scotland to Corfu Greece (Virtual Sea Adventure) and Conversational Greek



As the crow flies it is a cozy 1999.8 miles between Fife, Scotland and Corfu Greece. 

But we're not crows.


By Air it is a 3 hour and 40 minute flight.  Like flying from Indiana to California non-stop. Which I have done.

By Boat...You Navigate the North Sea...the North Atlantic Ocean...The Strait of Gibraltar...The Mediterranean Sea...and the Aegean Sea. 

 An Adventure.

So...boat it is, then! 

Especially when you look at today's weather, and see that the rain and grey appears to be here for a few more days. It probably actually resembles the weather of the North Sea and North Atlantic far more that it does the brilliant blues and turquoise of the Aegean Sea and Sky. 

So the view is a lot like this








Although with today's weather it feels a bit more like THIS






Yeah...I've seen a few episodes of Gilligan's Island.  
(humming the theme song)

I know where this is headed.

But there is time to study a little Conversational Greek, and I've already managed how to spell my name in Greek

Κάρλα 

Now I just have to learn how to pronounce it...lol!

Went to the (real) market and brought home Greek ingredients for the adventure. Huge Black Greek Olives, Feta Cheese, EVOO, Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, Chicken, Flour and Yeast to make Pita Bread and Rosemary Peasant Loaf, Lemons, Phyllo, Walnut, Dark Honey, Spinach, Lamb, Garlic, Cucumber, Dill, and Red Onions. I'll use our fresh garden tomatoes and some of my fresh herbs.

And found a user friendly Beginner's Traveller's Greek video

https://youtu.be/s-hZ5zRBjPo

as well as a written site

http://www.101languages.net/greek/basics.html

So a look at the North Sea





With its omnipresent storm cloud in the background and heading back to "cabin" soon to watch Jason and the Argonauts which I have found it its cinematic form as opposed to the book. This probably means I will begin Joyce's Ulysses (again) on this trip after all.

~sigh~

(...did I bother to mention that Ulysses was the bane of my college existence and that I have NEVER managed to wade completely through the damned thing...cliff notes are our friend..)


Jason and the Argonauts

https://youtu.be/lrQZTMmRqhU

The upside?

 Preparing Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes with home-made Rosemary Pita and Black Olives in the galley!



We eat like Greeks Tonight!

More anon...

                   Κάρλα