Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Virtual Adventure Continues: The Mediterranean Sea... and Lapis Lazuli



The Mediterranean Sea is the body of water that separates Europe, Africa and Asia. It covers approximately 965,000 square miles,and is surrounded by 21 individual countries. Still, in describing it, the only words I can find, begin or end with the word BLUE.








Ranging from Admiral and Navy Blue, Deep Indigo, Royal Blue and Cerulean, to Teals. Topaz, Aquamarine, and Turquoise Blues nearer the shoreline. The shore waters are impossibly clear.

Ethereal.

Perfection. 

Blue.


If Eskimos have 100 words for snow, certainly the people who live on these waters must have the same number (or more) to describe the colours of their sea.

Bright sunny warm day today and I worked more on my painting of the wooden ship bow with my unfinished stormy seascape. Hopefully, I will be done tomorrow. I used my palette knives to capture the sail lines twisting and blowing in the wind. Thanks "Idgy" for my tutorial on using knives to paint, last summer.

 Can't wait for you to see the results.

They also helped me get a nice crisp edge on my billowing sail.

I am completely smitten by the blue of these waters (...can you tell???) , and have already found a silver ring (eBay) adorned with Lapis Lazuli that I am ordering this week that captures the colour forever.

There were many...but I knew as soon as I saw it...that this was the one. 

A Bit of Sunshine...the Blue Mediterranean...and Greece to wear long after the Virtual Adventure is over!









 Sailing the Mediterranean.

https://youtu.be/pBFGw7HvDag

 

Tomorrow we begin The Greek Isles, in Corfu!






















The Milky Way over The Mediterranean Sea


More anon...