Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Sounds of HOME



Right this instant? 
Tucker-Cat curled in a warm fuzzy ball snoring loudly.

For Mayes, the sounds of her childhood home might have included chainsaws biting into fresh pine being logged. The Mockingbirds incessant jabbering, as they strut boldly across the lawn, tails held high. Sweet Southern Drawls and dishes clinking as the table is set. It may have been being called to dinner with a iron bell or triangle. It would have most certainly included

"Now settle down, chile"

My favorite childhood sounds were my Grandpa playing Amazing Grace on a large Horner Harmonica he had brought home from Germany...or him reading "If I ran the Circus" by Dr. Seuss  It was the barking of our three dachshunds (Schnapps, Fritz and [nice non-Germanic name] Cuddles) or their howling in unison with the Friday Air Raid Siren Drill at 11:00 AM in Indianapolis.

When I was married and raising my own children- my favorites were the sounds of guitars being strummed, songs being written and tried out or recorded. Cats demanding to be fed, or let out, or in, or out again. A house full of kids and their friends...and everyone calling me "Mom" (related or otherwise)  It was a lot of love and laughter. It was "I love you", and saying it in return.

Now it is the relative quiet...soft jazz or a CD in the background. Most recently it has been Christmas music. Instrumental Compilations as I wrap the presents and put the finishing touches on for the holiday. The snick of scissors and rustle of paper from long rolls.


It is Chris stopping by, then wheedling

"Oh...come on...tell me what is is....I'll ACT surprised..."

And soups bubbling away on the stove. It is the old refrigerator that makes a noise like small puppies growling, and the furnace working away on a cold day. It's the kids and grands clamouring in...happy chaos...and it is hearing "I love you!" and "Grandma Rose!" Accompanied by big hugs (the adults)...or small chubby arms around my neck...or Aiden squealing

"Mee-maw!!!"

and saying "I love you" back to them.
Over and over again.

These are the sounds of HOME.