Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Labor Day...and why taking 3 days off from the housework is a REALLY bad idea

Yeah...this was me all Sat-Sun-Mon.

And today....





I REGRET nothing!

A perfect three-day weekend. Touched base with all the boys. James loaded up the Camaro on Sunday.  Took Nicki and the kids to Turkey Run, and Gobbler's Knob for ice cream. Just like I did when they were that age.  Loved all the pictures!





This might be my favorite one, though.  James was about this age the first time I walked him through this wet and narrow sandstone area on Trail 3.

 The kids hiked and scrambled around the trails like young monkeys. Nicole, who had never been to Turkey Run before, just loved it! Like me, she collects rocks...and found a wonderful heart-shaped one before the day was through.



Chris and Tina also spent the day out there, on Saturday, hiking Trail 9 and the Boulder Canyon. Both grateful to finally have 3 days off! They were also able to check out the site they are planning their wedding.
Chris says it is amazing!

Lennon is enjoying a month of having the house to himself (and the quiet) as his Grandmother visits the girls in Boston...and he survived the arrival of Hurricane Hermine while at work on Anna Marie Island. It weakened quickly into a Tropical Depression and although he ended up with  buckets and buckets of rain...the water and wind didn't impede his trip home, and there was no flooding/damage when he got there.

I took all three days off and did...nothing. Okay...only what I wanted to do. Some gardening and tidying/repotting, some writing, some painting, a few naps and some creative cooking, three sumptuous spa baths.


And...since all the Fall Bulb catalogues arrived on Friday...was able to spend a few quiet hours (as E.B White would say)  


"Plotting the Resurrection"





Saved what remained of my drown herbs and re-potted the basil and rosemary for fresh herbs through the Fall.

Weeded and cleaned the borders. Trimmed back my variegated ivy which has grown everywhere during the summer heat, and collected all the trimmings and planted them in the hanging basket above. Ivy...it is forever. Stepped and fetched daily for the Hummer's who are busy filling their tiny tanks before the long migration.


Also gave my Morning Glories a much needed trim back.


 Replanted the galvanized trough and some smaller pots for cooler weather, and generally tidied the patio. Spent a lot of time relaxing out here with cold sweet tea,a good book, and the Tucker Cat.

Just scratched the surface on my Mediterranean painting, I am working on.

Finally think I have found the combination of blues that I need.





Small Detail of Water





Still working on the sea today before starting the limestone grottos and graduation of depths. Going to use Impasto to build up the craggy textures.


Getting the sparkle right on the water first, and (soon) white-caps and a bit of sea foam.


Later-possibly a rugged limestone arch and distant land mass.

Excited about working with the grottos and the illusion of depth and varying water colours to suggest translucency.

Anyway, the break's over and it's back on my head...lol!

Laundry and dishes and dusting and vacuuming.  Oh my.

A Cinderella Day!







 Soon...off to tour (virtual) Crete.