Thursday, September 1, 2016

(Virtual) Hydra



Today we catch a "Flying Dolphin"...the island hopping ferry that will take us to Hydra (pronounced Ee-dhr-ah- not HI-dra)

                                         Aegean Flying Dolphin Ferry

Although they are all beautiful, I think this might be my favorite island. A combination of the banning of all motor vehicles except rubbish collection, and the collection of mules and donkeys...and the huge well fed, loved and amusing feral cats that pretty much run the place.




Yeah...they had me at cats! Because...though I only have one...deep inside I AM a crazy cat woman.  ~laughing~
Hydra's city area (which is named after the Greek word for water because of the freshwater springs that were found on the island) is little more than 20 square miles wide and 5 miles long. A waterfront crescent with beautifully coloured buildings, mules and donkeys to get you around, oh and cats...did I mention the cats.

https://youtu.be/SkYYHh-Qjiw

Kitty Gangs of Hydra

I loved Rick Steves take on the island where he describes the native sounds.

"The island is a land of tiny cats, tired burros, and roosters with big egos. While it's generally quiet, dawn teaches visitors the exact meaning of "cock crow." Cock crow marks the end of night with much more than a distant cock-a-doodle-doo. It's a dissonant chorus of cat fights, burro honks, and what sounds like roll call at an asylum for crazed roosters. After the animal population gets that out of its system, the island slumbers a little longer."


Vic Stefana has one of the better videos exploring off the beaten path

https://youtu.be/rlQ4JgwWlG0

And listening to him breathing hard throughout the 2000+ steps up and down and between buildings...well  you may be grateful (like I am) that he provided this much easier way to explore Hydra.

The year-round population is less than 2000 people. They are dependent on tourism.



The harbour cats wait patiently and are rewarded with fresh fish and assorted seafood daily. Most shops have a shop kitty, and they are a favorite with the tourists who also feed them.

I think I want one...

Maybe next Spring.




And a book of The Secret Lives of Greek Cats which is available on Amazon.
I know I want one of these!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0981744796/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0981744796&linkCode=as2&linkId=26I7FEGLR2A7HFB7

for $10.00 plus shipping and handling.

Another short tour of Hydra.

https://youtu.be/hYxbEHrcU8g


Next: Cavafy's Poem-   ITHKA