Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Recipe...Why I'll NEVER Need to Buy Greek Yogurt EVER Again.



Okay you might If you don't have a spoonful to start your's out, but still...

I was perusing Turkish Recipes last night and one thing I found throughout was the use of Yogurt in so many of them. 

Since I had one small container of Greek Yogurt on hand, I made a mental note to replenish my supplies before embarking on the Turkish Recipes/Foods section of our Enhanced Virtual Adventure.  Then on a lark, I googled how to make yogurt at home.

Making yogurt at home is as easy as keeping and feeding sourdough starter (forever) or Amish Friendship Bread.

In fact, it may be easier.

As long as you keep a culture alive you can make an endless supply of  Greek Yogurt, and flavor it with whatever you like.

Without further adieu...


Homemade Greek Yogurt

Equipment

Re-purposed Glass jar with lid.
Can use a mason jar.

Small sauce pan.

Table spoon

Measuring cup
 
 Ingredients

2 cups milk. 
Any will do. Whole or half and half make a thicker finished product but 2% and even skim will work.

Warm milk on stove top on medium heat  do not boil. 

Remove milk from stove and let cool to 115 degrees (or just lukewarm) Doesn't have to be exact...not too hot or it will kill your starter. Not too cool or it won't grow. 

Stir in 1 tablespoon of store bought Greek Yogurt



 I used this and it worked fine.

Stir in 1 tablespoon honey or sugar.
 (I used the end of my Honey from Crete)

Pour miixture into glass jar and cap or cover.

Sit in warm area 
(I sat mine directly below my range hood (60 watt light bulb) overnight. They say inside the oven with the oven bulb on works well, too.

In the morning (8-12 hours) move the jar to your refrigerator where it will continue to thicken as it chills.

That's it...pour the watery whey off the top and tah dah...thick creamy yogurt!

Out of one tablespoon...2 cups.

And you can re-make it over and over and over again. 

Add Fresh Fruits, Flavourings in the bottom of the serving bowl to stir in. Or delicious as is.







I'll never buy store-bought again.
Seriously...who knew???


Planning on using some in a Turkish Recipe I will be trying/sharing tomorrow!

Until then!