Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Novel- The Plan: The General (cont.)



The dumb bastard really did it.
 
I will have to deal with the fall-out from Mark and the kids, but there is
nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

It will be a while before Mark finds out. I can control the inflow of
information until he needs to know. 
 
Now all that is left to be done is to make the call.


The detective took an excruciatingly long time to pick up and sounded
half asleep. 

I'm sorry to bother you but I am very worried about my daughter.”

After detailing his concerns and the failure to pick up her children at his
house for the past two days and assuring the detective that this
“wasn't at all like Tray” he dropped the germ of the idea he
wanted to sow in the detective's mind.



I shouldn't even be telling you this. It's probably nothing, but Tracy
complained a few months back that Mark's doctor she had been involved
with for his rehabilitative psychotherapy seemed to be
getting...ummm...a little too familiar with her. Buying her little
gifts. Asking her to see him outside the office. She seemed spooked.
When she and Mark began to discuss getting back together she said he
was angry with her.”
 
"No, she abruptly ended her sessions with Dr. Troy and the situation seemed
to have resolved itself. No. She never met him outside of therapy that I
am aware."
 

No. He never mentioned it to me.”
 

He spent Thanksgiving with Mark, and the kids and I. I do remember him
being very abrupt when Mark mentioned Tracy and asking me if they
were going to reconcile. It seemed an odd question at the time
because Mark has repeatedly said he would like to rekindle his
marriage. It is part of the reason I invited him to move into my
house. I just assumed he was aware of that.”
 
"No. Tracy wasn't there."
 

Yes, I will be here tomorrow if you think filing a missing person report
is what we need to do. Mark is pretty upset by all of this,already.
Maybe we should wait to talk to him and the kids about it just yet. I
don't want to cause a setback in his condition.”

 
No,Thank YOU. I will see you in the morning.”




And then with a click I hung up the phone and poured a 
tumbler of Glen Livet.

The wheels set into motion.