Saturday, May 9, 2020

Tina and Chris' 1st Anniversary...Zoom Sisters Day...Aiden is Six...And More

Chris and Tina enjoying the great wide open...having recently celebrated their 1st Anniversary!



Coming by here to sit out and visit and share a bit of their year-old thawed out wedding cake...that was still moist and delicious!

Always!



And Aiden turned 6 the next day...

Last year's picture here...

Don't have one from this year yet.

Was able to mail him birthday stuff and say Happy Birthday on the 5th, though.

Damned Covid, anyway.

Since our last Sister's Day was in February we attempted to ZOOM one today.
It failed spectacularly...my Linux refuses to Zoom..it was more like a PLOD...Lisa had a horrid migraine...so Tina and I ended up muddling through the whole

"...can you see me now???" 

Then gave in, and chatted on the phone for quite a while. It was still fun.
I miss them.

This week has been like Christmas around here...with the coming of parcels ordered last week.

Since it has been cooler/cold at night...the lilies and hostas are bunched on kitchen countertops waiting to be planted like some overgrown salad bar.

And then there was The Mattress. 

A Deep Memory Foam Topper.



OMG!
 
I have a full sized mattress.

My first clue should have been the fact that the box that arrived was a bit longer than 36 inches and about 8 inches square....

When I opened it in the living room I pulled out a plastic tightly rolled bundle of topper...maybe 1/4 thick.

(...no..I didn't READ the instructions...)

When I cut open the plastic surrounding it...

IT BEGAN TO GROW!

AND GROW...AND GROW.

It was a bit mesmerizing...then came the

"Holy Shit Moment"

When I realized that this was becoming a 4 inch thick full sized mattress topper, and that if I did not get it dragged into my room and on top of the bed now...I wasn't GOING to be able to...

And it was growing and growing and growing...getting bigger and bigger...

Dragged it through my hall and stuffed it (barely) through the doorway...and finally got it (more or less) hefted on top of my old mattress.

It was still growing!

Sat there on the floor...completely out of breath...and laughed until I had tears running down my face.

The cat sitting next to me

"Dear God...Did you MEAN to do that, Mom???"

The bed is amazing now.
Don't know how I ever lived without one of these!

Brenda and I, had an early Mother's Day Brunch together this week...a little bit of much needed normalcy in all of this Shelter-At-Home quarantine stuff.





We both been Shelter-at-Home for nearly 2 months now...so no chance of The Rona.

And
Sofi showing off her new harness that fits.

Now she can accompany me outside again.

About The Rona.

This is where it was (worldwide) when I first started watching it in February.

This is where it was at last night.

and according to today's charting...


Over 4 million infected individuals worldwide and 278,000+ deaths.

As Al Gore remarked yesterday

"We have got a serious problem."

The USA tops all countries now both in number infected and in deaths...and here is why


George Takei shared a meme that said it best...





Roy...from Siegfried and Roy is the latest to die from The Rona.

And the White House may have downplayed it and refused to wear masks...but it is no laughing matter now...as 11 Secret Service...Trump's Personal Valet...Ivanka's Personal Assistant...and Katie Miller (Pence's Aide and Stephen Miller's wife) have now all tested positive.

Yesterday they said everyone in the White House has to receive daily testing now.

Yesterday Trump also said testing was over-rated and unnecessary.

And he STILL refuses to wear a mask.
 
Go figure.

Says it will make him look ridiculous.

"Oh honey, I think that ship has already sailed!"

Just saying.


Got turned on to Elderberry Gummies yesterday!

Elderberry juice having anti-viral properties.

These also have added Vit. C and Zinc (also antivirals)

Can't hurt...might help.

Taste GREAT!

Movies have been slim pickings. This week found a Spacey/Danson/Jack Lemmon film I had somehow missed decades ago  (1989)

A heart-warming "feel good" film that examines family ties and how they affect you through-out your life. And the lives of those around you.

The library still closed...and no Outreach available either.

I've spent this week slowly rereading my favorite Steinbeck
Classic


 Deep into the Dust Bowl, now, on Route 66 on the way to California with The Joads.

Maybe it is the imagery which has lasted my entire lifetime.

The old box turtle trying to cross the highway.  Scattering oat heads.

Perhaps it is the numerous trips I've taken on The Mother Road, myself. Some beginning when I was maybe four. Some as a 20 year old. Some with a husband and children of my own. A couple with my kids when they were old enough to drive. I have a chunk of the original Portland Concrete from an abandoned section through Oklahoma.

(...I even read the book once during one of these trips...)

But I think it is most likely the way Steinbeck dissects The Human Condition. All of the characters...throughout the book. How even amidst the hardest people you can find humanity...and even the meek and mild can be pushed too far.

Much like another favorite of mine: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle 
Maintenance...this is also an Inquiry into Values.

Although I have read both books so many many times over my 60 years...I  seem to always glean something new or a subtle nuance gone unnoticed with each new reading. 

I think that is what makes a Classic a Classic.

Now to finish lunch...have an hour nap with the cat...and get these plants where they belong!

Have a Wonderful Weekend...